Technical data management
Why Use Calcium?
Technical excellence is of crucial importance for organizations in a wide range of industries such as engineering, manufacturing, healthcare, financial services and education. Technical knowledge brings products to market, safely and reliably, and is a key differentiator for successful enterprises in an increasingly competitive commercial environment. It is more important than ever to protect and secure this investment and ensure maximum productivity and return.
Many organizations are unable to properly capture technical data and the intent of technical calculations. With each project start, each staff turnover or reassignment or retirement, each reorganization, and with every computer glitch or crash, valuable intellectual property and know-how leaks away. Typically, organizations lack a structured way of organizing valuable technical data, and the information is instead scattered in e-mails, ad-hoc documents on individual PCs and file shares, on floppy disks and CDs, or in paper form.
Technical information management platform
Calcium is a versatile technology that organizations of all sizes can use to make technical data management more efficient and improve the productivity of teams. It includes collaboration tools to enable people to share information within the business and, where required, externally. Calcium keeps technical data safe and accessible. It provides a robust line-of-business application for technical capital which is on a par with your financial data management, your stock control system or your customer database. Calcium provides a secure repository for valuable calculations, assumptions, methods, physical constants, design parameters, performance characteristics and empirical knowledge. This vital information is stored in a way which makes it manageable and accessible to all members of your organization so that critical constants and assumptions are used throughout the organization in a consistent manner. Calcium uses open standards, such as XML, to further protect the integrity of your data.
Calcium can capture the intent of technical calculations and data and provides a central place where team members can collaborate throughout the process of product design, marketing and support. Documents can be versioned and audited as required. Built on Windows SharePoint Services, Calcium also provides a robust platform for building flexible and scalable web-based applications. Administrative controls for managing storage and Web infrastructure give a cost-effective way to implement and manage a powerful collaboration environment.
Collaborate Easily and Effectively
Calcium is also closely integrated with the Microsoft Office system, making it exceptionally easy to use and deploy. Calcium helps teams stay connected and productive by providing easy access to the data, documents, and information they need to make technical decisions and complete tasks efficiently.
- It is now easy to share documents, track tasks, use e-mail effectively, and share ideas and information.
- Provide a single workspace for teams to coordinate schedules, organize documents, and participate in discussions within the organization and over the extranet.
- Support a repository of technical data, physical properties, performance characteristics, units conversions and other technical information.
- Easily author and manage documents, and help ensure their integrity with enhanced features including the option to require document checkout before editing, the ability to view past revisions and restore to previous versions, and the ability to set document-specific security.
- Help people and teams stay on task with a variety of communication features that let users know when actions are required or important changes are made to existing information or documentation, including announcements, sophisticated alerts, surveys, and discussion boards.
- Provide creative forums for brainstorming ideas, building knowledge bases, or simply gathering information in an easy-to-edit format with new templates for implementing a blog (web log), wiki (Web sites that team members can quickly edit without any knowledge of HTML or web-site building skills) or blooki (blog/wiki with structured book-like content).
- Keep mobile users productive with enhanced support for offline synchronization through the new features in Microsoft Office Outlook for managing document libraries, lists, data, calendars, contacts, tasks, and discussion boards when offline, and to synchronize changes when reconnected to the network.